Search This Blog

Monday, November 01, 2010

Barcelona!!!


   The flight to Barcelona was a bit bumpy, it was also the first time I got really homesick because I couldn't sleep and I just sat and thought about arriving at Logan and seeing Mom, Dad, and my brothers (the dogs were there too in this daydream). So I decided to read Chelsey Handler to take my mind off it...book is freaking hilarious. It's embarrassing when I laugh out loud to it all by myself, but whatever.

    I arrived about 2 hours later, alone in a foreign city, not knowing how to speak Spanish, let alone Catalan which is what they speak there...so that was a bit nerve raking. But I managed to find the bus that would bring me to my friend Brian, however, I had taken his number down wrong and couldn't contact him so I started panicking a bit because my data service doesn't work outside of England...LUCKILY, I could access old Facebook messages and found his number there. We went to his apartment and hung out with his friends where honestly the weirdest thing in the world happened. He introduced me to like 10 people at the same time and I didn't really register any of their names but I was talking to one girl about people she knew at St. Mikes, then I was talking to someone else and the girl sitting behind her looked wicked familiar then once someone said her name it clicked. I had sat next to her on my flight to California freshman year spring break. HOW WEIRD IS THAT?! I think the only reason I remembered was because earlier on my flight as I was freaking out and drinking a large glass of wine to calm my nerves, I was thinking about how the only other time I had traveled by myself had been that trip. Unbelievably small world. Anyways, we went out to a club after and they played awesome music from the middle and high school days...some Ja Rule, some J Lo, just fantastic. Brian and I had a hard time finding Molly, Natalie, and Lacie and by the time we did, Molly was the only one who was still out. We all went down to the beach it was so much fun. We sat with some other Americans we met and stayed there until 5am which is when the metro started up again...then we slept until noon Saturday.

     So the day was a bit of a struggle because we were incredibly tired. I checked into the hostel where all the girls were staying and we found Natalie and Lacie. Brian was a horrendous tour guide having spent over 2 months in Barcelona. I honestly couldn't tell you the names of half the places we saw...oops. But we went to the port, the Cathedral of Barcelona, and a big park with a really pretty fountain. Saturday night, our hostel had a sign up sheet for the biggest club in Barcelona and we got to skip the line and get a free drink for 15 euro which was amazing. Right before that, though, we went to a bar that had a menu of probably over 100 shots all for only 2 euro. We had ones called Harry Potter (which didn't make sense...it was some liquors with an orange with sugar poured on it then set on fire), Boy Scouts (some liquors again that they set on fire and gave us marshmallows on a skewer - genius) the last one we took was called the Kiss of Death, it was some liquors then a few drops of hot sauce which freaked me out because I hate hot sauce but you couldn't taste it until the end when your lips burned...the name was clearly appropriate, and they gave us lollipops after (they were all really weak shots, don't get nervous).

    Getting into the club was a nightmare, the people in the insanely long line were pissed because we were pushing our way to the
front as we got to skip the line and they were throwing cans at us. We lost Lacie in the madness because we thought she was ahead of us, but Natalie and I ran back and were able to find her...no worries. We got in just in time for people in zombie costumes and make-up to perform Thriller. It was awesome. Later on in the night, we were right in front of the stage and they did it again...I was freaking out being that close to them, their make-up was really scary. We didn't go to bed until like 6am that night, the clocks went back an hour so it was really only 5 but still, long but fabulous night. Waking up at 9am the next morning was horrible and I hadn't slept well because someone in my room was snoring as loud as Dad snores. We said bye to Natalie and Lacie, got breakfast with Molly and her friends, then met up with Brian and went up Mountjuic which is a big hill with lots of gardens and stuff overlooking the city. It was beautiful, we also saw the big stadium where the olympics took place. Then Molly and I quickly went to Parc Guell which is the mosaic park that Gaudi designed. It was so so pretty, unfortunately it was dark so I couldn't see everything as well as I would have liked.
Parc Guell












    After that, I grabbed my stuff and headed for the airport. A 40 min bus ride, then a 20 minute shuttle ride to the other terminal. Then the flight was a bit delayed but it was all made better when I saw an English men's field hockey team was on my flight and two very attractive players sat next to me. They were really nice and told me some more places I should go in London and just in the UK in general. I only slept 20 minutes because I was afraid I'd drool or something and they'd think I was gross...so hopefully that didn't happen. We got into Gatwick and it took a bit to get through customs because they always ask a ton of questions and took a few finger prints. Then I was at the further terminal so had to take a shuttle...again. THEN I had to take a train into central London where I then had to wait a good 30 minutes for a bus because I didn't have any cash for a cab. The bus stopped about a 15 minute walk from my place, and it was 1:30am so I was nervous but I made it...7 hours of traveling and I was back in my basement. Slept through most of class this morning...oops.

Sorry this is another long one.

It's finally Press Day at Paul Smith tomorrow! Going in early to help set up...pretty excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment